Žďár nad Sázavou was originally a market town, established on an ancient regional route, and at its inception it was closely linked with the establishment of the Cistercian monastery in 1252. The town was elevated to city status at the beginning of the seventeenth century. Today the city plays host to several cultural and social events, and for tourists it offers a whole range of active recreation options thanks to its advantageous position. The Pilgrimage Church of St John of Nepomuk at Zelená Hora was inscribed in the UNESCO List in 1994. The building, which dates from the beginning of the 18th century, is one of the finest projects by the architect Jan Blažej Santini-Aichl (1677-¬1723), and is also an example of ‘baroque gothic’. The church, which is not large in size, defies all description, and this is sufficient reason to make a visit to see it with your own eyes.
The pilgrimage church, dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk, was built in the early 1820s. It is the finest work of the architect Jan Blažej Santini and is the most original example of the so-called baroque gothic style. It was built on a five-pointed star plan and is surrounded by a cemetery and cloisters.