Holiday in the CR:CZeCOTTourmapsEast BohemiaNorth Moravia-SilesiaTřeboň RegionUNESCOCzech inspirationActive holidayTimetablesGEOFUN

skočit na navigaci | skočit na obsah

not logged in
language select: cn cz de en es fr it jp nl pl ru

fotografie: previous | next

nahoru ^

Olomouc - Tour of the city 2

Map of the tour.

We can best capture the atmosphere of the city in a tour that begins on Václavské náměstí with the newly-opened Archdiocese museum (1) and the 12th century Přemyslovský palace. Just a few steps away there is the Cathedral of St. Václav which has one of the tallest spires in the country. We walk along Wurmova Street to Biskupské náměstí with its palatial 17th century buildings, the Archbishop’s Palace (2) and the Tereziánská zbrojnice (Maria Theresa Armoury) (3). We walk along Křížkovského Street, where Palacký University is situated, and reach náměstí Republiky, the central motif of which is the Triton fountain (5). Here we can visit the Muzeum Vlastivěda (Local Study Museum) (6) and the Muzeum umění (Art Museum) (7), and also the Kostel Panny Marie Sněžné (Church of the Virgin Mary of the Snow) (8). We leave the square along Univerzitní Street and pass the Jesuit ‚Konvikt‘ boarding school, part of which is the Kaplička Božího těla (Corpus Christi Chapel) (9), The Chapel of St. Jan Sarkander and the Primavesi Villa (10), and arrive at Žerotínovo náměstí, where there is another church that is worth our attention, the Church of St. Michal (11). From here we zig-zag through the narrow streets of the old town to Dolní náměstí, where there are more baroque fountains (Jupiter (12) and Neptune( 13)) and the original Marian plague column. Before we go to Horní náměstí and to the astronomical clock on the town hall, we shall pass by another fountain, Arion, dating from 2002. On Horní náměstí we shall stop at the famous Holy Trinity Column (15), from where we can see the facades of the Petráš (16) and Edelmann palaces (17). Here we can see more fountains (Hercules (18), Caesar (19) and Jupiter (20) and the Church of St. Mořic(21)). We end our trip by the Terezská brána (Theresa Gate) (22), which we reach by walking down Pavelčákova Street alongside theWater Barracks.

Maybe you were unaware that...

  • The Marian column was built as an expression of thanks for surviving the plague epidemic in Moravia. Its builder, Render, believed it to be insufficiently spectacular, and so he had the idea of building a far more magnificent column on Horní náměstí.
  • The Olomouc Trinity Column is the masterwork of several artists and master craftsmen, but it did not bring them a great deal of luck. The first to die during the construction was Václav Render himself. Luck did not shine on his successors, either, as František Thoneck, Jan Václav Rokický and Augustin Scholtz also all failed to see the finished product, and it was left to Rokický’s son Jan Ignác to complete the project.
  • The gilded replicas of cannon balls remind us that the column was hit on several occasions by Prussian mortar fire during the siege in 1758. The people of Olomouc went out in a procession to ask the Prussian general to stop his soldiers from firing at the monument. General James Keith acceded to their wishes and so the column was saved from further damage.

nahoru ^ | tisk | komentovat

Viewed 1140 times